" On a larger scale, modern societies increasingly say "Gross, that's disgusting! So if a boy wants to be popular, he needs to stop picking his nose in public, a girl needs to do the same, and if a nation wants to be admired, it needs to stop practicing racism and intolerance. The god of the Bible, Yahweh (Jehovah) never condemned slavery.Public opinion determines what is acceptable and what isn't, so poets and songwriters who influence public opinion play important roles in human social progress. Moses, the first and greatest of the Hebrew prophets even said that fathers could sell their own daughters as sex slaves, with the option to buy them back if they didn't "please" their new masters (Exodus 21).And there are many other notable voices among the poets, going back at least to Sappho of Lesbos, the first great lyric poet we know by name. Auden once said that poetry makes nothing happen, but I believe the opposite is actually true: poetry and song lyrics make a lot of things happen in the realm of social progress. Because human cultural norms begin with what people believe, and how they react when they see behavior they approve of (or don't).She was apparently the first "make love, not war" poet, because eons ago she wrote a poem in which she said that other people praised warriors in flashing armor and fleets of ships, but for her what really mattered was the person she loved. On a smaller scale, a student who picks his nose in public is censured with "Gross, that's disgusting!And while it's good that attitudes have changed, the 87% figure remains mind-boggling. What the heck are the other 13% of Americans thinking? It’s the same sort of question that comes to mind with “controversies” such as the furor over this adorable Cheerios advertisement, which committed no crime save casting a white mother and black father as the parents of an appropriately biracial girl.The Cheerios commercial is hardly the only controversy over interracial marriage in recent memory.The group has achieved national notice because of its picketing of funeral processions of U. It maintains that God hates homosexuals above all other kinds of "sinners" and that homosexuality should be a capital crime.Louis Theroux stated that the Phelpses are the most extreme people he has ever met.
Colossians makes it clear that from God's perspective all are one in Christ.A loving Christian couple may accommodate well to many kinds of differences between themselves.However, there are cultural contexts where interracial marriage poses significant barriers to acceptance of the marriage and/or the children of the marriage.An important Bible verse about understanding interracial marriage is 2 Corinthians : "Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers." That last word, "unbelievers" is of key importance.A Christian should not marry a non-Christian no matter how kind and good they are. Deuteronomy 7:1-6 tells the Israelites to destroy all the inhabitants of the Canaan land and not to intermarry with them because they would "turn your sons away from following Me, that they may serve other gods." The same key concern of 2 Corinthians is again expressed here.